Can Myopia be corrected by laser surgery?
What is Myopia?
Myopia is a condition in which the eyeball becomes elongated, making it difficult to see things at a distance. This condition can cause headaches, eye strain, and blurred vision. It is a refractive error that occurs because of an inability to focus light on the retina due to elongated eye ball. Myopia is caused by a physical difference in the shape of the eye and is most prevalently found in children and young adults. The symptoms of a myopia patient are as follows:
- Need to sit closer to the TV
- Excessive blinking
- Eye fatigue
- School children with Myopia struggle to see the blackboard
Today, Myopia is rapidly increasing, and it is believed that by 2050, 50% of people in the world will have a myopic vision.
Lasik (Laser-Assisted In Situ Keratomileusis) surgery can correct nearsightedness by reshaping the cornea, the clear front part of your eye. Studies have shown that laser operation on eyes has been highly successful in correcting Myopia. In addition to Myopia, it can also correct farsightedness (hyperopia), and astigmatism. Lasik can be performed only by an ophthalmologist.
The goal of Laser treatment for eye is to reshape the cornea, making it possible for rays to focus on the retina so that a clear image can be formed.
- LASIK surgery is a short procedure that takes about 20 minutes. It is done under topical or eye drop anesthesia by an ophthalmologist., the eyelids are held open with an instrument.
- Next, the surgeon uses a motorised blade or laser beam to make a small hinged flap in the cornea this flap is lifted up.
- Then, using a programmed laser beam, the doctor reshapes the cornea so that it focuses light more clearly on the retina. Doing this improves the focusing capabilities of the eyes.
- Finally, the flap is repositioned, and the patient is allowed to leave after a brief observation of 15 minutes.
- Generally, soon after the LASIK surgery, patients are allowed to resume their daily life activities.
- It is necessary to take the prescribed eye drops as prescribed by the doctor to treat any itching, watering, or redness in the eyes if any.
- You may also get advice to wear a protective eye shield till complete recovery. Also, wear sunglasses to protect your eyes from the sunlight.
- Eye cosmetics are prohibited for a few weeks post-surgery.
- Exercises or activities that stress the eyes should be avoided.
- Remain in touch with your doctor and take follow-ups at regular intervals.
To find out if LASIK surgery is suitable for you, you should check with a highly qualified ophthalmologist. At Krishna eye care, w do a complete evaluation of your eye and vision before confirming if you are fit for Lasik surgery. Your eyes must be healthy and free from infections or injuries. In our center, you won’t be considered a candidate for LASIK surgery if:
- You are less than 18 years old and haven’t achieved ocular maturity.
- Your cornea is too thin or does not have correct contour
- You are pregnant and breastfeeding.
- You are a diabetic patient undergoing hormone changes.
- You are on medicines such as steroids.
- You have unrealistic expectations.
Krishna Eye Centre is the best Myopia control clinic in Mumbai. Here we have a great team of doctors who are extensively trained and renowned for their thoughtful approach to patients. Krishna Eye Centre provides state-of-the-art equipment and uses advanced technology like Laser Vision Correction (LVC) and Refractive Surgery to provide patients with the best possible vision. So if you are looking for Myopia treatment in Mumbai, book an appointment with us.